Wednesday August 17, 2011
The school year is closing in on us…in fact, for some of us, it has already begun!
Need a few ideas to spice up the remaining week or so? Here’s a little inspiration.
1. Have a special back-to-school dinner or back-to-school cake. I used to have a cake for the boys the night before they went back to school. They loved it!
2. Help the kids start a back-to-school journal. Give each one a special notebook or let them decorate them. If you have ten days till school, number the pages and encourage them to write or draw something on each day. Depending on their age, kids can write about what they think this year will be like or what they hope to learn or do this year. If you do this every year, it’s always fun to go back and read last year’s journal and see what progress the kids made.
3. Plan a special family activity the night before the first day (a movie night, a picnic dinner, a family water gun fight), ending plenty early so everyone can get a good night’s sleep.
4. Plan one day for each child. Ask each one, “What do you want to do with Mom before school starts?” Spend the day (or part of it) with just that child.
5. Surprise the kids with a Happy New School Year party. Incorporate some of the above ideas or maybe change your job charts and responsibilities. Let the kids help determine their new tasks and how to keep track of them. Make a chart together.
Those are just a few ideas. Find something special to do—it’ll make the time go faster and make some great memories.
Happy new school year!