Friday March 9, 2012
It’s been a long time, hasn’t it? So many times I’ve thought of updating you but real life just intervened. It does that sometimes.
First, let me tell you that our son Andrew is doing well after a serious auto accident in early January. We got him back here to South Florida at the beginning of February, after revamping a few doors and bathrooms to make the house a bit more wheelchair friendly.
Andrew began to settle in at home but after about a week he ended up in ICU here in Florida with an infection. It was a scary four days, but he got wonderful care and came back home in good shape.
He’s doing physical therapy in earnest right now, trying to improve his range of motion and strengthen muscles in hopes of being weight-bearing in about a month. And then the physical therapy will continue…and continue. We have a long road ahead, but he’s making steady progress.
A very sweet, special young lady in his life lives only three hours from our house, so we’ve had some great weekend visits. She’s the best therapy ever—and such a doll, who fits in so easily, no matter what the situation.
Andrew’s care has been a combination of me, his dad, and a home health aide so I that I can (try to) keep teaching. That’s been a challenge, but my school has been wonderful. The secretary always assures me, “No problem” when I call with news that someone will need to cover for a few minutes till I get there. My teacher friends come in and take a pile of quizzes from my hand, demand the key, and bring them back graded. They say, “Of course we’re praying for Andrew, but we’re praying for you. We want to help you.” I truly don’t think we’ve ever felt so loved, so prayed for.
I’ve learned so much and am learning more every day—spiritual lessons and practical ones. I have plenty to write about. Now I’m just waiting for the Lord to grant me the time! Next week is my Spring Break, so I’m hoping to get some writing done, but we’ll see. I know He knows best.
And since it’s Friday, let me give you a quick recap of my favorites—my blessings—from this week. Susanne from Living to Tell the Story hosts Friday’s Fave Five each week. Click on over to get the details and join us.
1. Your sweet words and prayers. Between comments here and on my personal and author Facebook pages, the support has been incredible.
2. Those who feed and love and pray for us. Those who don’t ask what we need, but just do. That’s a blessing because you often just don’t know what you want or need; things can be overwhelming. But there’s a good kind of overwhelming, too—being overwhelmed by God’s love and provision for us through His people.
3. Sweet sons. I’m so proud of how Andrew is facing this and how his brothers have supported him since the moment we all heard. Andrew is looking forward to his youngest bro coming home for Spring Break this week—some brother bonding time.
4. A hard-working, selfless husband. I can’t even express how much he’s had to do in balancing work and home. His “Sure, Son” attitude makes even the hard seem easier.
5. A sustaining faith. ‘Cause that’s what it does—sustains me. There have been those terrifying moments when there’s nothing to hang onto and nobody else around but the Lord, and He’s always there. His love for Andrew and for us has helped us to rest in Him, even in times of darkness. He is truly our Light and He illumines the way, step by step.
Can’t wait to hear from you, dear Reader. I hope to get around to say hi to you, too. I’ve learned to wait and see what each day holds, though. Hope you’re all well and enjoying a bit of Spring.