Wednesday November 16, 2011
Being thankful in tough times? That’s not easy. Sometimes we get a glimpse of thankfulness when we see the sun peeking through…other times it comes in the calm He gives in the very eye of the storm.
Looking back, I can thank Him when things are hard because:
1. I reach the end of myself. Just when I thought I could do it, work hard, make it happen, fix things…I reach the end of me. And then the good news is #2.
2. I realize He’s truly my provision. Not my husband, my friends, family, as wonderful as they all are. Our peace and provision truly come from Him, and tough times make that pretty clear.
3. That breath – that sigh – when you’re through the flood. Or that peace that comes from knowing He has you by the hand in the midst of the waters. The peace amidst the storm is precious.
4. Lessons learned in the darkness. Oh, the lessons learned! And fallen as I am, I turn around and have to learn them again sometimes, but I’m thankful He uses those times to teach.
5. Having a hiding place. When we think we’re doing fine, when we have it all figured out, we don’t really think about having a hiding place. But when things crumble, we realize we have a strong and mighty tower, a hiding place like no other. What a great reminder.
This song talks about this very thing, and it's simply beautiful. It's written and performed by Laura Story. Take a moment to listen.
Have you had tough times? How can you be thankful for the storm?